Saturday, March 19, 2011

There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood
3 stars
Daniel Day-Lewis is brilliant here, and the music from Radiohead member Jonny Greenwood is also outstanding. The story unfortunately seems pointless at times, and the writing is overly self-absorbed. For me, the religious element in the story is forced and annoying. Okay, I get it: Americans have an insatiable greed for oil, power, and riches dating back to the early 20th century. That is no revelation. I have no doubt that this is allegorical storytelling, but I am not moved enough to analyze the work further. Day-Lewis is a vivid, though alienating, screen presence. Enjoy "There Will Be Blood" for a number of undoubted strengths. Perhaps you will be more convinced than I was.


Written 5/31/08

No comments:

Post a Comment