Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Exorcist

The Exorcist
5 stars
Images from "The Exorcist" will remain with me until the end of my days. It is truly frightening. I had managed to avoid viewing this until now, as a 31 year old. I don't care for horror films and among that genre's vast offerings, almost 40 years on from its making this one is still notorious for its darkness. While viewing this, it got to a point where whenever the mother was running upstairs to check on whatever the demons possessing her daughter were up to I had to press and hold the fast forward button. Too heavy for me. Even skipping past those moments, I managed to be creeped out plenty. What gets lost in all the hoopla about the gore, the depiction of a possessed child, and the spiritual battle depicted onscreen is that "The Exorcist" is a tremendous film. The pacing of the storytelling is revelatory. The editor deserves many plaudits. The actors are brilliant and never campy. It's just that I hope to never see this again. I'm too sensitive, which means I'm unable to allow these images a home in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment