Sunday, December 12, 2010

Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles (30th Anniversary Special Edition)
3 stars

This is a dumb, goofy time. Unfortunately the subjects Mel Brooks and co. choose to satirize in “Blazing Saddles” don’t always stand up to the test of time. Thus many of the gags fall flat upon viewing the film in 2010. There are some bright lights, though. The production is well-executed and looks expensive. Harvey Korman’s performance is worthy of a tip of the cap. He shines as the devious villain of the piece. You can tell he reveled in the opportunity to “play bad”. There are a number of memorable scenes here, but the film as a whole is too uneven for me. There’s no doubt that comedy is a terribly difficult genre. Something that reads as funny on the page won’t necessarily translate onscreen. Mel Brooks is a wealthy elderly dude at this point, so I’m sure my critiques are just another hollow log floating down the river of time. But I’ll state my heretical piece nonetheless: I don’t love “Blazing Saddles”.

No comments:

Post a Comment