Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Hayward Cinemark experience

After attending a movie at the Cinemark Theater in Hayward, CA I decided to email the manager (or perhaps just some automated email drone receptor in corporate nowheresville...) about my experience. Here is what I wrote:
Hello -
On Sunday evening I attended a showing of "The Social Network" with my wife at the Cinemark Theatre in Hayward, CA. The accommodations were excellent - comfortable seats, great picture, great sound. I only wish you wouldn't have blasted us with the terribly loud advertisements prior to the film.
I understand that economic realities may now force your hand and require you to screen ads before a movie. As much as I despise this (I remember when movie theaters were a commercial-free haven; it was wonderful) I can accept it. However, I'm disturbed at how loud the volume of said ads was. The ads were so loud that it was impossible to carry on a conversation. I am emailing to request that you turn down the volume of the advertisements in deference to your audience's comfort. They - and I - will thank you.
The halls of the Hayward Cinemark theater are adorned with all kinds of classic movie posters. The decor is very cool. I wonder whether the theatre has considered screening any of these classic films? I know that there many steps involved in this - obtaining a decent print of the film, advertising & promotion, scheduling - but I think a classic movie showing once or twice each month could be quite successful in Hayward if curated well. I know I'd love to see "Casablanca" or "Rebel Without a Cause" on the big screen.
The Paramount Theatre in Oakland has a regular series of classic movie showings that is much-beloved and well attended. Here's a link to their schedule.
Thank you for your consideration,
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment